Actually, it is three cards, and not one.
I was enjoying the masking technique so much, that I gave the Make It Monday #10 another go.
I originally had this idea in my head, of masking off flowers and then stamping them with polka dots, as an entire background. But as I started to work with it and realized how tough it was (or how I actually didn’t know how to work it out!), it gradually turned into something else after all my mistakes and bloopers and mishaps.
I started off masking for white flowers with pink polka dots on black cardstock, but that didn’t turn out well at all. So I scrapped that idea and moved on to masking for pink flowers with black polka dots on white cardstock. I wish I had had the presence of mind to photograph that single sheet as a background! But I didn’t.
As it turned out, I ended up slicing it into 3 pieces to make 3 cards in a (rather boisterous!) set.
Now, I will be the first to admit how ‘bright’ this color scheme is. I wasn’t really expecting that – it just kinda morphed into what you see. Mostly because, I knew I wanted to put a ribbon on the card, and I wanted the flowers to have pink on them somehow, either as a flower or the polka dots, etc. And since the only 2 PTI ribbons I own, so far, are Hibiscus Burst and Raspberry Fizz, I went with what I thought would be the more ‘quiet’ one of the 2. LOL!
Anyway. I wanted to just use a whole quarter-sheet size of cardstock with the masked-flowers background on one card. But it just didn’t seem right that way. So I ended up cutting it into thirds, and three cards instead of one were the result, in a variation on a theme.
Hopefully you can tell from the photos, that the masked part of the project is the section on the left of each card – pink flowers with black polka dots on white cardstock. I used Stamper’s Select White cardstock with some other brand of pink and black ink for the flowers.
The right-side panel is different on each card – one in Hibiscus Burst, one in True Black, and one in SS White, each with the pinstripes. I also alternated colors for the Mat Stack 3 die cuts, heat embossing each one using a coordinating stamp from the Mat Stack 3 Stamp set.
I layered onto that the Double-Ended Banner die cuts, with sentiment stamps from a few different collections. Happy Birthday, from the Inside and Out: Birthday set. Just Thinking of You, from the Mat Stack 2 set. Thank You So Very Much from the Mat Stack 1 set.
Finally, I used the Beautiful Blooms II #3 die set to cut coordinating flowers, edge inking them in black, and layering them onto the #3 Mat. Then I added a few rhinestones here and there. For the Happy Birthday card above, I simply colored clear rhinestones with a pink Sharpie marker, which matched a little better than the other pre-colored pink rhinestones I had in stock.
Though I am obviously just a beginner at masking, I enjoyed these little exercises, and I hope I’ll be able to use masking more and master the technique better.
Thanks for stopping by for this burst of color! 😉