More on Flowers

Oh my goodness, Wow!  I was really not expecting all the comments and questions that resulted from my last post about vacation flowers.  But thank you to everyone who commented and sent emails with questions!  I thought I’d better add a little something to answer those questions, for any others who may want to know but not want to ask.

On the Bloom Builders flowers.

* I didn’t use PTI cardstock for these blooms, just old thinner cardstocks from my stash.  I did that so I could practice making them first, without having to use up my valuable PTI cardstock stash, in case I were to make a bunch of mistakes. šŸ˜‰  Plus, I just have sooooo much miscellaneous cardstock and paper in my stash, sometimes I don’t know what to do with it!  So I figured, why not make a bunch of PTI blooms with some of them?!  However, the felt flowers in the second photo ARE made from PTI felt.

* I did not use the metal shim for the blooms I created in the photo, but that may be necessary with PTI cardstocks.  I don’t really know.  But with these thinner cardstocks, I did send the cutting-plate sandwich through forward once, then I rolled it backward to give it two pressure cuts through the machine.  (I used the Cuttlebug machine.)

* The cardstocks did get stuck in the die after cutting.  As per advice from one of the PTI DT members (I cannot remember who gave it, though), I gently tap the die on the table or my leg, which releases some of the easier pieces.  Then I used some blue painter’s tape (again, as per PTI DT advice) to stick onto the cardstock and gently pull up to help release the tougher pieces.  I wouldn’t say it was ‘bad,’ but it did take effort in the cutting phase.

On the crochet flowers.

* I used Nichole Heady’s pattern found here on her blog.  It is a tutorial for a 2-layer flower made in two rounds.

* I had to teach myself to crochet in order to make these flowers, since I am a knitter and did not know how to crochet.  I used YouTube videos and blog tutorials to learn.  I practiced with a bigger hook and yarn first to make sure I was doing them correctly and practice a bit, and just to be able to see what I was doing!  Then I began using the small hook and embroidery floss.  It took me much practice to make them look decent!!

* Being every bit a novice, I had trouble doing the second round behind the first round, so I simply omitted that round and stayed with just a single layer flower made from the first round, which works for my purposes just fine.  (Hopefully that makes sense!)  But I do have hopes of practicing with making the second round, because I really do like the 2-layer version.

* These flowers, as I have created them, are approximately 1″ to 1-1/4″, depending on how uptight or relaxed I was while working on them and how tight or loose the stitches ended up being.

I think that covers most of the questions I received.  Please email me or comment if you have any other questions or if I missed something, and I’ll do my best to respond!

Thanks again for all your comments and questions, and thanks for stopping by today. šŸ˜‰
-Ally
Advertisements

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s